Hickory Grove United Methodist Church in Charlotte has an opening for a Music Director. While this position is primarily responsible for traditional worship, HGUMC also enjoys contemporary, African, and Latino services as an integral part of its multi-ethnic mission. You can learn more about us at http://www.hickorygroveumc.com
(Please note that we have an Organist position posted as well. The two positions could be combined for one person possessing both sets of qualifications.)
The requirements for physical presence are:
- Every Sunday from 8:30am to 10:30am, for a brief adult choir rehearsal followed by the traditional service,
- Every Tuesday for a staff meeting from 3:30pm to no later than 4:30pm (some may be missed),
- Every Thursday for adult choir rehearsal from 7:00pm to 8:30pm,
- An occasional committee meeting (e.g., Worship Team),
- Additional services to include Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, and funerals, and
- Approaching Easter and Christmas, a couple of additional rehearsals are customary.
Qualifications include the ability to:
- Conduct an adult choir in rehearsal and performance,
- Direct, or oversee volunteers to lead, children’s, youth, and handbell choirs (These choirs have been neglected, and we would like to see them restored in some form.),
- Select all vocal music, to include congregational hymns, choir anthems, benedictory responses, and miscellaneous music as needed, all appropriate to a traditional service and aligned with the given scripture and sermon theme,
- Coordinate with the Organist on prelude, offertory, communion, and postlude selections,
- Communicate all music selections to the Office Administrator for inclusion in the weekly service bulletin,
- Prepare PowerPoint slides to guide the congregation through worship,
- Create a packet for the choir and pastors that mirrors the PowerPoint slides that they cannot see projected,
- Recruit soloists and instrumentalists in order to present a richer repertoire,
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, and coaching of other music staff,
- Support the music leaders in the other services (African, Latino, and contemporary), and
- Foster connections between the different services and the greater neighboring community.
At a minimum, we are looking for someone who is in at least his/her junior year of an undergraduate degree in music with choral conducting and ensemble experience, or significant, demonstrable church choir experience that would substitute for formal education. Keyboard proficiency is also highly desired.
The person hired must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The pay range is $18k-20k per year. An audition and interview will be part of the selection process for invited candidates. To apply, please respond to Geoffrey R. Korf, our departing Music Director who is assisting us in the search for his replacement, at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and CV/résumé that offer insight into your experience and ability to meet the qualifications above. We look forward to hearing from you (please note that e-mail is the preferred method of communication), and we thank you for your interest. Open until filled.
Contact: Geoffrey R. Korf
Address: 6401 Hickory Grove Rd Charlotte NC 28215-4252