Part-time Youth Minister
Part-time Youth Minister
Maylo United Methodist Church
1900 Spencer Mountain Road
Gastonia, NC 28054
Pastor: Jay Bissett
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY
Youth Minister: Responsible for all aspects of our church programing directed to youth in grades 6 through 12. This includes and Youth groups and Sunday school, developing new events, activities or groups that reach youth unaffiliated with Christ and/or his Church.
Job Type: Part-time. Hourly position: $16 - $19 per hour, based on education and experience, 10 – 12 hours per week: 3 – 4 contact hours, 7 – 8 planning and preparation hours.
Reports to: Staff Parish Relations Committee and Pastor.
Relates to: Parents, adult youth helpers, Church Council and Church Secretary.
- Minimum age: 23 years
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Minimum of high school education. Preferred candidate should have post-high school education in a field related to children and youth ministry
- Preferred candidate should have experience working with children and youth in a church or educational setting.
- Should possess good interpersonal and communication skills
- Must have knowledge and demonstrated ability to relate to children, youth, parents and ministry volunteers
- Must have ability to lead young people in developing a vital relationship with Jesus
- Must pass required background check
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible
- Should possess technology skills necessary to communicate with basic word processing, and office equipment skills
- Commitment to the mission of God as expressed in the United Methodist Church
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan weekly youth programs (time TBD)
- Plan and conduct special activities for youth such as work projects, trips and community service.
- Serve on Administrative Board and Council on Ministries
- Recruit youth and encourage participation in the youth program
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Pastor
- Over-see and direct the Christmas Play
- Mentor and counsel youth in our church
- Plan, prepare and carry out Youth Ministry and assist with Children’s ministries programs and events.
These events include but are not limited to:
Palm Sunday activities
Vacation Bible School
Special Sunday events such as Mother’s/Father’s Day
- Assure all programs, events and volunteers abide by our Safe Sanctuaries Policies
- Communicate program and event information to Church Secretary for coordination of facilities and publicity
- Maintain records of planning & expenses for developing annual budget submission for Youth/Children.
- Additional related duties as requested by the Staff Parish Committee (i.e., assist with worship service as needed, assist with sound system as needed)
- Expected to live out the mission and values of the church at all times/aspects of life
Since this is a part-time position, we understand that it may be attractive to college or graduate students, or those that may have another job. Flexibility on the sides of the employer and employee will be a critical part of the decision process.
Contact: Jay Bissett
Address: 1900 Spencer Mountain Rd. Gastonia 28054