Chancel Choir Director
Chancel Choir Director
The choir director is responsible for providing the leadership in the area of traditional choral music. He/she needs to encourage and initiate recruitment of new choir members. The Chancel Choir Director shall work with the pastor and work in cooperation with the church organist.
Key Qualities Sought
· An inviting, engaging and compelling musician with a passion for leading and organizing worship & the ability to engage the entire congregation in a rich and musically diverse worship.
· Able to generate, contribute to, and maintain good team chemistry and both lead and thrive in a volunteer team-based environment.
· A professional with exemplary work ethic: proactive, energetic & dependable.
· Committed to the application of their considerable musical skills with spiritual integrity and excellence.
· A genuine multicultural perspective practiced in one’s daily life.
· Is uplifting, enthusiastic, responsive, positive and respectful of others.
· A mature walk with Christ, evidenced in personal spiritual disciplines both and beyond worship.
· A sincere heart for the unchurched or dechurched, with an ability to focus both internally on the church and externally on the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the adult choir on Sunday mornings during the 11am traditional church services as well as other services and occasions as required
- The director is expected to be present for all rehearsals and occasions when the choir sings during the regular choir season from September through May. These include Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, Easter and other holidays in which the choir sings
- Plan and lead weekly rehearsals during the regular choir season. Rehearsals are at the discretion of the choir director but are generally held one evening per week for one to two hours as appropriate and at the director’s discretion prior to Sunday morning worship services
- Select and plan music, to the extent possible, in coordination with the worship themes of the morning and / or seasons of the Christian year
- Provide information regarding anthems and special music in a timely manner for the church admin to prepare the bulletin
- Select music that will encourage the singers to improve their musical capabilities
- Work closely with the church organist or other musicians along with all staff including the media department
- Order music and supplies as needed
- Submit a budget to the Finance Committee and Epworth Church Council for the music programs under his/her responsibility.
- Promote the spiritual growth and nurturing of the choir and seek to develop the choir as a supportive community
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
· Minimum of a degree in music or greater than three years equivalent in music performance or comparable field
· Additional instrumental ability is preferred, but not required
· Physically able to direct a choir and preform musically in a public worship environment
· Proficient as a singing vocalist in a worship setting
· Able to work Part-time, Sundays are required work day
Skills: The choir director must possess a strong musical background and training, with the experience and ability to read music. The choir director should have knowledge of a wide variety of musical styles and the ability to teach these varying styles to the choir. He or she must possess effective interpersonal communication skills, good organizational skills, and a positive attitude.
Little about Epworth UMC we’re a 200 plus Sunday attendance church located in Concord, NC directly northeast from Charlotte. We have a strong commitment to service our community and the fellow members of our church body.
Contact: Geoff Rackoff or Epworth Secretary (email@example.com
Address: 1030 Burrage Rd Concord 28025-2910
Attached file(s): view file