Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church
Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries
The Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries will foster an atmosphere that is welcoming to the Mount Pleasant Church community, with the primary focus of recruiting, teaching, equiping, leading, and making disciples of Christ (Matthew 28:18-20).
This position works under direct supervision of the Lead Pastor and is overseen by the Staff/Pastor Parish Relations Committee (SPRC). This person will work closely with church staff, including the Lead Pastor, Music Director, Church Administrator, other staff, and volunteer children/youth ministry team leaders. In conformity with professional standards, practices, and methods, the Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries shall to adhere to the following responsibilities.
Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with the Lead Pastor and the SPRC, the following constitute the major responsibilities of the Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries Coordinator. Children’s Ministries (3yrs-4th grade) and Youth (5th-12th grades).
Leadership - Discipleship - Service
● Provide a Christ-like example in speech and actions to serve as a role model.
● Lead by example by being present and/or participating in both Sunday morning worship services and activities.
● Lead devotions at Sunday evening youth meeting.
● Lead and/or coordinate weekly Bible study groups for youth.
● Adhere to the annual budget for children & youth ministries in conjunction with the ministry teams for these groups.
● Help coordinate children & youth participation in worship services throughout the year in conjunction with the Worship Team and Lead Pastor.
● Support the Director of Music and other leaders to incorporate children & youth in the music ministries of the church.
● Work closely with the Lead Pastor to ensure that children & youth educational needs are met, including helping to recruit, train, and equip teachers and leaders.
● Lead Confirmation Classes in cooperation with Lead Pastor as needed.
● Work within our local schools and community to establish relationships on behalf of our church as a tool for outreach and evangelism to children & youth in our community.
● Be an active member of the “Youth Center” committee. (A ministry to unchurched youth in our community meeting weekly every Friday evening)
● Be present at the “Youth Center” at least one Friday per month.
Lead and Assist the Children and Youth Ministry Teams:
● Lead and assist the Children & Youth Ministry Teams to provide ministry to the children & youth of the church. This includes, but is not limited to, Sunday School, Bible Studies, Vacation Bible School, community programs, discipleship training, missions/service, and worship/fellowship.
● Coordinate/facilitate children & youth events such as our Fall Festival, Easter Eggstravaganza, Christmas play, etc.
● Develop age-appropriate summer programs in coordination with the respective committees.
● Maintain web pages and social media associated with children & youth activities.
● Maintain and publish children & youth calendars.
● Help to coordinate age appropriate children & youth mission opportunities, locally and out of state (for youth).
● Develop contacts and relationships with ministries outside the church to provide meaningful opportunities for youth to serve others.
● Assist with coordination of fundraising activities for youth-related functions to supplement budget guidelines.
● Recruit, organize, motivate, and equip volunteers to serve with children & youth.
● Cooperate with the Lead Pastor and various committees/ministry teams in planning, conducting, coordinating, and evaluating the children & youth ministry programs of the church.
● Be intentional about connecting children & youth ministries with ALL generations.
● Participate in Church Council meetings, and other leadership meetings, if requested.
● Theological beliefs that are consistent with Biblical teaching and the United Methodist Church
● Organized and effective leader who can recruit and equip laity for servant ministry
● Computer and social networking skills a must
● Excellent communication skills to keep parents, children, youth, and congregation current on all activities
● Background in child/youth development is a plus
● College degree is preferred
This person will have an authentic relationship with Christ and a genuine call to serve God in the local church. They will be an individual who has high energy, positive thinking Christian and who focuses his/her ministry on relationship development through earning the trust and respect of all children & youth through the establishment of relations with parents, our pastor, staff, and the community. This person will possess effective communication, organizational, and leadership skills, and be flexible and willing to change and grow. It is our goal that this person become a long-term member of our staff, forming lasting relationships with our church family.
Full time, salaried position, with expected service averaging 32-35 hours per week. Salary: $33,000-36,000 depending on experience.
Contact: Rev. Mark Muckler
Church/Org/Business Name: Mount Pleasant UMC
Address: Sherrills Ford NC 28673