Director of Youth Ministry
Director of Youth Ministry
University City United Methodist Church, located in north Charlotte, NC is seeking a full-time Director of Youth Ministry.
We have one traditional worship service and one contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings with a total average worship attendance of 500-500. Our youth ministry has 75-80 active students involved in a variety of worship, service, fellowship and spiritual growth opportunities. A team of 18-20 parent/adult leaders is already in place to help lead the ministry.
We are looking for someone with a Vision and Passion for teenagers to know Jesus, encourage them to seek to follow Him in their daily lives and lead them to serve others so they might also know Him and His love for them. We are looking for someone with a solid understanding of Wesleyan Theology and United Methodist doctrine. The ideal candidate will be comfortable leading and serving, not only the students and families that are currently in the church but also reaching out into our diverse community to engage with new students and families to help them connect to Christ and our church.
A Search Committee comprised of parents, adult leaders, students and staff will be conducting the interview process with final interview and approval by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. In addition to a resume, interested applicants should also submit a cover letter detailing their call to ministry, how their specific giftedness/strengths/abilities can be used in youth ministry and any experience they may have in engaging, developing and leading groups in diverse settings.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
- To give overall leadership, guidance, direction and vision for the Youth Ministry of University City United Methodist Church, within the guidelines of the Vision and Mission Statements. (can be found at www.ucumc.org)
- To supervise, build and grow the Youth Ministry (6-12 grades) of the church, which includes but is not limited to: FUSION Youth Ministry and Small Groups (Sunday nights), Sunday School (Sunday mornings), Confirmation Class, Youth Leadership Team, Outreach/Mission Projects - serving in the church and the community, Retreats and Fellowship Activities.
- Lead by example - pursue and exemplify spiritual growth as a Disciple of Christ through prayer, Bible study, faithful giving, service to others and witnessing to your faith in the world.
- Partner with the rest of the UCUMC staff in being servant leaders to our congregation and community.
- Provide effective leadership
- recruit, train and equip leaders and parents within the Youth Ministry as we work together to help students and their families grow deeper in their faith.
- Seek to engage students and their families in the community closest to UCUMC as well as those already connected to and participating in the Youth Ministry.
- Pray for and build relationships with servant leaders, parents and students while encouraging and supporting them in serving and their faith journey.
- Seek out ways to integrate students into the life of UCUMC (Youth Sunday, VBS, Sunday worship services, Valentine's Banquet for senior adults, Christmas Store Outreach, Mission Trips, etc.)
- Assist students, parents and servant leaders in discovering their spiritual gifts, talents and abilities and help them utilize these in ministry and service to God and others.
- Participate in students' lives outside of UCUMC (build relationships with families, attend extracurricular activities, meet students for coffee, etc.)
- Provide a detailed budget each year to the Finance Team and manage that budget throughout the year.
- Utilize all means of communication (church publications/website, social media, texting, email, phone, etc.) with students, parents and leaders on a regular basis, keeping them updated on Youth Ministry happenings, events and activities.
- Maintain a Christian commitment to Jesus Christ, the Church and the community.
- Prefer a four-year degree in Christian education, religious studies or related field.
- Prefer a minimum of 3 years experience in a large Youth Ministry or related field position.
- Prefer someone with supervisor/director experience. - Demonstrated ability to recruit, train, equip and empower volunteers to lead areas of ministry.
- Demonstrated leadership skills around goal-setting/expectations, building consensus for the team and moving everyone forward towards completing the agreed upon goals/expectations.
- Attend and participate in weekly worship services at UCUMC, staff/prayer meetings and other training/team building activities as needed.
- Ability to give/receive input, guidance and direction, then move forward to achieve goals set forth by Director of Discipleship and the GROW Team.
- Ability to be a self starter but also work as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills: Oral, Written, Social Media, basic word processing/spreadsheet tracking and knowledge of ACS database system or willingness to attend training and learn the system.
Competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. Interested applicants should submit resume and cover letter to: Bert Giles - Director of Discipleship 3835 West WT Harris Blvd Charlotte, NC 28269 firstname.lastname@example.org 704-369-8020
Contact: Bert Giles - Director of Discipleship
Address: 3835 West WT Harris Blvd Charlotte 28269