Director of Music and Worship Arts
Director of Music and Worship Arts
Harrison United Methodist Church is a caring faith community in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte, North Carolina. We are looking for a dedicated full-time Music and Worship Arts director.
Harrison is a vibrant, multi-generational church dedicated to bible study and spiritual health for the next generations, building relationships with God and one another. Church members describe Harrison as warm, friendly, and welcoming. We have a church membership of around 600, and have three worship services: 2 traditional and 1 contemporary. The contemporary service is led by the contemporary worship leader, who is under the management of the Music and Worship Arts Director.
Summary Job Description: The Music and Worship Arts director is responsible for the total church music program, leading the worship and music experience for Harrison Church. He/she plans, creates and leads music selection and execution, ensuring a high level of excellence in all elements of worship. He/she provides overall direction, advice, and coordination for other music staff. He/she must feel called by God to the ministry of music and feel led to grow the congregation’s ability to worship God by singing the songs of faith.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the priorities set by the Senior Pastor for Harrison Church.
- Support the mission of inviting all people into a living relationship with Jesus Christ by investing in the lives of others while embodying the kind of energy and integrity others seek to follow.
- Work to develop a strong, well-balanced choir by recruiting, training, managing, and retaining volunteer and paid singers. Direct members of chorus for traditional worship services and lead all rehearsals and organize music for special event services (i.e. Easter, Christmas, Weddings, Funerals, and other campus events as scheduled).
- In cooperation with music ministry personnel, provide effective opportunities for church members, children through adult, to develop their ministry in music by directing, or overseeing programs such as worship choir, hand bells, youth, children’s choir, fine arts camp, small group, and community engagement programs. Freedom to develop additional opportunities as needed.
- Recruit and motivate volunteers in creation of all technical elements, including AV set and content, as needed at all services. - Manage, counsel, support and encourage contemporary worship leader and singers/band to achieve growth and performance excellence.
- Work with members in surrounding community (i.e. schools, healthcare facilities, retirement homes, and community organizations) to integrate Harrison’s music missions in order to build community outreach and to recruit volunteers.
- Maintain compliance with all church policies and procedures. When working with children/youth, assure adherence to our Safe Sanctuary policy.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, Church Council meeting, and other meetings as requested.
- Maintain regular office hours each week as established in conjunction with the Senior Pastor. Education and/or Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; appropriate musical or theological studies/degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience working with adults, youth and children in music/worship leadership.
- Proven demonstrations of successfully leading, motivating and coordinating all aspects of a music program.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal members of the congregation, guests and external community partners. Must be comfortable in front of a large crowd and be comfortable engaging with congregation after each service.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet objectives, while maintaining a positive attitude. Ability to appropriately delegate and involve others is a key responsibility for this position.
- Strong organizational and time management skills (planning, creating/keeping deadlines, decision making, delegation, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
Salary and Benefits:
- Full-time position (40 hours per week) - Salary is negotiable and will be based upon applicant’s experience and skills and his/her ability to fulfill the functions listed.
- Other benefits include: Health Savings Account, pension, continuing education, paid time off (vacation and sick) through accrued time on job.
Application Package Requirements/Contents:
- Cover Letter
- Detailed resume
- List of references, prefer both professional and personal
- Video recording(s) of choral direction and instrument performance (organ, piano, or other) if applicable.
Harrison United Methodist Church,
15008 Lancaster Highway
Pineville, NC 28134
Contact: Rev. Shane Page
Address: 15008 Lancaster Highway Pineville NC 28134
Phone: (704) 541-3463