Annual Conference 2020
Annual Conference 2020
Saturday, August 8, 1:00 p.m.
Annual Conference 2020 will be held virtually.
Thank you to annual conference members who returned the ballot to approve holding a virtual meeting of the Western North Carolina Annual Conference on August 8, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
The vote was as follows:
Yes – 1844
No – 44
Abstain – 20 (card returned, no vote recorded)
For those who requested printed materials, the Program & Reports Supplement book will be mailed the week of Monday, July 27. It is also available at the link below. Watch this webpage for updated information about the Annual Conference meeting.
PROCEDURES FOR THE 2020 WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA ANNUAL CONFERENCE
These special standing rules are established according to Rule 32 of the Western North Carolina Conference Organization and Rules for the Western North Carolina Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church and shall apply to the 2020 Annual Conference meeting on Aug. 8, 2020.
Meeting Information and Credentialing
- The 2020 WNC Annual Conference session will be streamed on various streaming platforms, including the WNC Facebook and YouTube livestreams. Voting will occur through the Election Buddy (https://electionbuddy.com) voting system.
- Members will receive information through email to access the annual conference meeting stream and the voting system unless they specifically request to receive communication through the postal mail. A link to watch to the Annual Conference meeting will be posted at www.AC2020.org. Members who expect to vote electronically and who don’t receive an email from the Conference Secretary on July 14 should contact their district office. Clergy communication will be through the conference email addresses unless there is a different email on file for retired clergy.
- Attendance of the members of the annual conference will be recorded through the balloting system. Clergy members do not have to request an excused absence if they cannot be present.
- The bar of the annual conference shall be those members of the annual conference (as defined by the Book of Discipline) who are present and voting by electronic means or submitting a ballot by mail.
- Robert's Rules of Order will not be governing any part of the Annual Conference session while these special rules are in effect.
- The business of the Annual Conference shall include what is required by the Book of Discipline for the ongoing function of the Annual Conference and such business as may be deemed essential by the chair.
- Required reports requested by the conference secretary coming from boards, agencies and committees are posted online at www.AC2020.org in the Program and Reports book.
- All materials needed to conduct the business of the Annual Conference meeting will be published in the Supplement to the Program and Reports book which will be posted online July 20.
- Questions concerning the meeting or business of the annual conference will be received through an online portal at www.AC2020.org. Answers will be given directly to the questioner and, when applicable to all members, posted online.
Balloting and Voting
- All votes shall be cast electronically or through a paper ballot. The electronic balloting system generates the paper ballots which ensures that no one can vote more than once.
- All votes in an electronic meeting of the annual conference will be up-or-down votes with no amendments or debate.
- Electronic voting will be held over the internet and shall begin by the order of the chair during the electronic meeting session and shall close at 11:59 Eastern Time, August 8, 2020.
- Electronic voting shall be considered "written ballots" for the purposes of the Annual Conference sessions held under these rules.
- Requests for a paper ballot and a printed copy of the Supplement should be made through the return ballot that was mailed to members of the annual conference.
- The return-by-mail ballot must be returned by mail to the conference secretary postmarked no later than three (3) business days after the conclusion of the annual conference session.
- The results of all voting will be certified and announced by the chair (posted online at www.AC2020.org) after the votes by mail have been received and counted.
Approved by the WNC Cabinet 7/15/2020